Tuesday, December 30, 2014

December 29, 2014

  
The first is of me in front of the retirement home/abby:D

For those of you who have not already heard this wonderful story, Christmas morning my companion humored me in my ardent desire to go singing/visiting at the nursing home.  We didn’t know where to find one and went on a bit of a wild goose-chase but in the end it ended up being just three minutes from our home.  We walked right on in like we knew what we were doing and found out that it was run by all of these super adorable old nuns.  We got to sing and talk with people and then the nuns saw our nametags and mistook us for nuns also:)  They got super excited and took us to meet the head nun in the convent:D   I thought it was SO COOL:DDDDDD they invited us back and it was a fun little moment:)

The next is a photo of our Christmas lunch with Sister Avrilene and her family -and also Kevin from the branch. 

We bought Santa hats to hype up the Christmas cheer and had a wonderful time:D   It was interesting having Christmas a Maurice.  There was no snow, it was blazing hot, the Christmas trees kind of look like palm trees... and there are lots of people who do not celebrate -the Indians and Muslims- but it still seemed like there was a good amount of festivity and lights:)  When we gave the Christmas cookies to our neighbors they looked a little confused and it was only later that night on returning home when we asked if they'd had a good Christmas that they said "we don’t celebrate Christmas" that we were like "oh -slap in the face- right!  We knew that” oh well, we would have given them the cookies even if we had remembered:) 

Okay so this is of our tiny Christmas tree that we decided to buy to participate in the season festivities;)  Normally I am too biased to buy a fake tree but in our circumstances it was the better choice;)  It was super cute how excited Sister Isham was about it:)

Me opening my Christmas package from home.  That poor package went through a lot to get to me.  Mauritian customs are slightly ludicrous and they stole my candy, but that is okay, my Mom is so cute and sent me lots of fun things:)  She even sent me a soft ferret dog toy that i may or may not have mistaken at first for a scarf;)  

Sister Isham and I making sugar cookies.  That is one of my ABSOLUTE favorite traditions and my mom spoils me sooooo much.  She sent me the recipe, cookie cutters, food coloring for the frosting, and sprinkles so that it really could be like I was back at home.  It made me so happy to make them and everyone thought they were great:D


The last picture is from a funny story.  We had some hard moments this past Saturday but said a little prayer and I said to sister Ishim "ca va, c'est la perseverance" or in other words "it’s okay, its enduring to the end" and not a hundred yards down the street we ran into this random sign with the word "perseverance" ;)

Well I hope that you enjoy the pictures.  It was a good week.  The people here are so kind and for the most part the work is going well.  I love you all and hope that you have a great week!!!!

Love,

Sister Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment