Monday, June 16, 2014

June 16, 2014

WHAT A WEEK!!! and this week is going to be even crazier.  My first two companions, Soeur Berchel and Soeur Packer, finally got their visas to go to Maurice (Mauritius) and Soeur Thomas and I dropped them off at the airport in St. Denis this morning.  Of course it was bitter sweet.  Things were not always perfect between us, but when people work side by side and experience the ups and downs together, it brings a closeness even to the most unlikely of friends.  We cried freely as we said goodbye and I said a prayer to thank my Heavenly Father that I had been able to meet those incredible ladies and share the experiences that we did here.

Yesterday we got to experience something super cool!!  There are tons of Indians here and there are lots of temples all over for the tamoul religion, and yesterday at the temple in Grand Bois (one of the cities in our area) they held on of their religious ceremonies called "marche sur le feu" = walk on the fire.  One of our investigators, a very friendly/talkative older Indian man, who we had met knocking on doors had invited us:D  It was super awesome!!!!!  I love, love, love the Indian tradition clothing for the women it is so beautiful, and the men were all dressed up too in tribal clothing.  There was a long bed of hot coals and the ceremony started with some ritual preparations and a little parade with lots of music and then one by one, they people who had prepared for the ritual were doused in oil and took their turn walking across the bed of coals.  CRAZINESS!!!!!  I am certain that my dad will be jealous that I got to see it.  Some people walked across like it was nothing, and others ran and you could see the pain on their face.  All I could think was "wow, what an interesting custom."  I will try to send pictures next week.


This coming week is going to be heinous because we have the entire area again and consequently twice the number of investigators.  If we don’t have too many cancelations we have already about 35 scheduled lessons, and maybe that is nothing in comparison to certain, but to me that seems like a lot :O  the most we've had in a week before was like 22.  But I am sure we can do it:)  woohoo, go out and share the love!!!!   I hope that everyone back at home is doing well, be happy and help other people (they go hand in hand;)  love, Soeur Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment