Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tue Jan 14 

   Okay, so sadly we have less time to write this week, but hopefully it will be good:)  The first thing that I'd like to say (in honor of my Mother because I know she is curious if I am eating well), is that the food here is marvelous and I feel very blessed!  I know for a fact that I am eating better than the missionaries in the Provo MTC;)  The food is simple here (rice with various sauces, bread with butter, eggs, african fruit, etc.) but it is homemade:)  The only problem is that I do not have the appetite of an African and so I have yet to go a meal without another missionary harrassing me about not finishing my food and concluding that I do not like it.  This is certainly not the case as I love the food, I just don't have a big enough stomach, and I try to assure them of this but in vain.  Even the cooks have started to recognize me and my lack of ability to eat there food and serve me a special "smaller sized plate" that you would really have to look at hard to differentiate from the others (I think they are worried I am going to starve) but I appreciate the sentiment:)  I am the only white girl after all, and so in class my companions are two of the boys from Congo.  There are two other white elders from Utah, and everyone else is from Africa: the largest group is grom Nigeria, and then Ghana, Congo, Cote D'ivoire, a few from Madagascar, and some other places.  I have been learning the funniest things about the differences in our cultures.  Almost everyone has come up at some point to touch my hair and to ask if it is real.  I say yes and let them touch it.  (okay I could scream --I had just finished my letter and it errased it all-_-)   I didn't find out until later while talking with my companion Sister Okechukwu (From Nigeria --p.s. mom she is in a class for people learning french from scratch with about ten other missionaries) that all of the girls but one here have a wig or a weave or something--at which I was surprised!  Even my companion is wearing one--I told her that I felt lied too;)  One of the first morning I was musing on why my three roommates had all most definitely all taken showers the night before, and were now again showering.  It turns out they were feeling curious towards me as well, because my companion asked if I was going to shower and when I said "No." all three of their eyes just about popped out of their sockets.  It turns out at home they are required to shower three times a day.  They could not believe it that it is common enough for American girls to not shower for a day or two.  I choose not to mention that a few of us--myself included--sometimes go for three or four days;)  The sisters love it when I play ukulele for them and all come into my room to listen and dance:)  Also, last night one of the girls in my room (Sister Oriakhi) was hungry and I shared some snacks I had left over with them and they had a lot of fun tasting them:)

Today I got to go to the Ghana temple:)  It was wonderful!  It looks like the same building plan as the Columbia River Temple in Washington, but is filled inside with beautiful african woods:)  On the way there everyone that was in the same van as me was amused at me because I was like a little child staring out the window with my hands on the glass.  There were so many interesting things to see:)  All of the ladies walk around carrying baskets with various things in them balanced on their heads:D  and we passed a row of huge trees in which each at least a thousand large bats were hanging:O  so cool!!!!!!


I go up and down with how I feel about my french.  The boys from Congo are all very nice to me, but there african accents are thick and it makes it harder to understand.  But somehow I have become the designated translator because people have found out that I speak french and english (I am the only one) and I am always having to help people converse.  Sort of cool.   I work here from 6:00 A.M. until 9:00 P.M,. everyday but I have not felt tired yet.  I am learning a lot, and have wonderful teachers:)  I will have to talk to you all next time though, Au Revoir! 

  Love, Soeur Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment